web-hurd

Re: New wiki system: copyright

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: New wiki system: copyright
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 12:24:56 +0200

Hello!

Thanks for your input!  See below for my comments.

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 08:57:01PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     > | The Free Software | Foundation promises to always use either a
>     > verbatim copying license or a free | documentation license when
>     > publishing your contribution.
>
>     Why the verbatim copying option?
>
> Since this wiki is for documentation, that option should not be
> included.

Okay, I have no objections against removing that.  I had originally
gotten this text as-is from the GNU-hosted GPLv3 wiki, see, for example,
the footer at <http://gplv3.fsf.org/wiki/>: ``[...]  By contributing to
any page on this wiki, you agree to assign copyright for your
contribution to the Free Software Foundation.  The Free Software
Foundation promises to always use either a verbatim copying license or a
free documentation license when publishing your contribution.  [...]''

>     > | If this is absolutely not what you want then you are free allowed --
>     > after | having spent some more thoughts on it -- to replace *Free
>     > Software Foundation, | Inc.* with *The Contributing Authors* and
>     > remove the *By contributing [...] | redistribute your contributions*
>     > paragraph.
>
>     Is this really necessary? I suggest dropping it. If someone really
>     really doesn't want to assign copyright -- well, nobody forces them to
>     edit the wiki.
>
> Exactly!  Adding this is a mistake, and it should not be added.

Again, no real objections against changing that.  I think that instead of
the above-quoted paragraph I'll add some text like ``In case you don't
concur with these conditions, please write to <somewhere> and we'll see
about it.''

Regards,
 Thomas