wesnoth-dev

[Wesnoth-dev] Selling Wesnoth?

From: Asa Swain
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Selling Wesnoth?
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 15:36:22 -0700 (PDT)

Isaac,
I suppose it doesn't hurt to pursue this offer, but I
am suspicious of the idea of "selling" wesnoth. If we
offer a complete version for free on our website, I'm
not sure that a pretty box and manual would justify
people spending money for it. Of course people might
buy it at a store not knowing there is a free version
available.
   This man seems like a fan of the game, but he
obviously wants to try to make money off of it.
Between trying to sell us his magazine and offering us
profits from selling Wesnoth, I'm suspicious of his
attempts to make money of the popularity of our game.
    I don't mean that I don't trust him, I just
ethically have issues with "selling" an open-source
game. I don't think that that is how we should be
spreading this game. What would we do with the
profits? Defray bandwidth costs? Even if we write a
really good manual, is that worth the 29 euros he
wants to charge? Of course Wesnoth won't reach v1.0
for quite a while, so we don't have to decide now. A
good manual would make Wesnoth easier to learn and
play, but for now I think finishing the game is more
important.

-Asa

P.S. Although before v1.0 writing a HTML or pdf manual
to include with the game might be a good idea. So is
improving our help system, but I like reading manuals
outside of the game.