wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Selling Wesnoth?

From: David White
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Selling Wesnoth?
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 20:03:26 -0500

I really don't have a problem with someone selling Wesnoth, as long as they follow the terms of the GPL. The GPL is designed not to make software free of cost, but rather to promote Freedom. If we didn't want people to be able to sell it, we should have chosen a license that prohibited that.

The fact is, that Théophile is legally entitled according to the GPL to sell Wesnoth and give us nothing for it. Giving us 10% in royalties would be rather generous of him.

I also doubt that he would be able to make a serious amount of money out of it -- it's unlikely enough to cover the cost of having the manual printed and the CDs pressed. I would imagine he's doing it simply because he likes the game. If he can make a serious amount of money out of it, well, good for him!

David

Asa Swain wrote:

Isaac,
I suppose it doesn't hurt to pursue this offer, but I
am suspicious of the idea of "selling" wesnoth. If we
offer a complete version for free on our website, I'm
not sure that a pretty box and manual would justify
people spending money for it. Of course people might
buy it at a store not knowing there is a free version
available.
  This man seems like a fan of the game, but he
obviously wants to try to make money off of it.
Between trying to sell us his magazine and offering us
profits from selling Wesnoth, I'm suspicious of his
attempts to make money of the popularity of our game.
   I don't mean that I don't trust him, I just
ethically have issues with "selling" an open-source
game. I don't think that that is how we should be
spreading this game. What would we do with the
profits? Defray bandwidth costs? Even if we write a
really good manual, is that worth the 29 euros he
wants to charge? Of course Wesnoth won't reach v1.0
for quite a while, so we don't have to decide now. A
good manual would make Wesnoth easier to learn and
play, but for now I think finishing the game is more
important.

-Asa

P.S. Although before v1.0 writing a HTML or pdf manual
to include with the game might be a good idea. So is
improving our help system, but I like reading manuals
outside of the game.