wesnoth-dev

[Wesnoth-dev] Wesnoth 1.0

From: David White
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Wesnoth 1.0
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 09:31:40 -0500

Since it seems that most everyone who has an opinion on the issue wants me to lead Wesnoth to 1.0, and since I would really like to see it get there, I am going to accept continuing leadership of the project with the explicit aim of trying to reach 1.0 as soon as possible.

There are going to have to be some changes in the way we do things though, to achieve our goals. I understand that many contributors might not like all or agree with all the changes. If there are contributors who want to continue adding new features we can investigate creating a 'feature development branch' that can be later merged into the main branch after 1.0.

Firstly: feature freeze. I think Wesnoth is feature-complete for 1.0, and we don't need any more features. If there is some feature that you really really wanted in, well, there has been the last 18 months for you to implement it or convince another developer to implement it, so apparently it's not that important; we will have to live without it until 1.0.

Changes to C++ code should be made only to fix bugs. At this stage obvious usability/interface issues and unnecessary slowness will be considered bugs, but this definition will narrow as we progress.

Now, I'm going to define a new term: 'Isolated Change'. An Isolated Change is any change to game data which doesn't add any new strings and which has no real chance of causing instability. Thus, adding unit animations or music or sound effects are Isolated Changes. Adding units, scenarios, or even maps are not isolated changes because they add new strings. Changing C++ code is of course definitely not an Isolated Change.

For the moment any isolated change is fine to work on.

Maps: Doc Paterson is working on a new set of interesting multiplayer maps for us.

Unit balancing: I'm going to accept Dragonking and Noy as developers who are going to concentrate on unit balancing. Based on discussions with them I think they will be able to do a very good job on it. Importantly, they are very conservative in their outlooks, which is crucial so close to 1.0.

If any of the unit balancing changes require changes to the game engine I will personally review the changes, how necessary they are, and will consider making them.

There are a few more areas which it would be really very nice if people could work heavily on:

- polishing up campaigns. In particular, I would love it if someone made some of the mainline campaigns much easier on 'Easy' level. This is probably the MOST crucial thing to the success of 1.0 in terms of popularity.

We're probably going to have to remove campaigns that aren't complete or are low quality. TDH in particular. It'd be great if someone could make a list of proposed campaigns for 1.0. A big barrier to some otherwise good user-campaigns would be the possibility of them being translated in time for 1.0.

- translations: we obviously want as many complete translations as possible.
- sounds. Currently our weakest area.....if anyone would like to make some new sounds, that'd be great. In a special request from Lisa, if nothing else could someone please make the sound of the Wolf Rider getting hit not sound like someone is torturing a puppy? :) - music: some new music was posted on the forum recently; we could review it and consider where to use it.
- animations: a complete set of death animations would be great.
- storyline images: I'm not sure if we will get any more, but if we were to, that would also be great. - documentation: the speed of the help system has been fixed....now we just need some good documentation to put in there

Bugs and release procedure: I think we should go through and close any bugs which we can't still reproduce in the bug tracking system. This will give us a fresh start for bug tracking and fixing. Then we should ask users to report as many bugs as they can find. I hope we can make a release every few weeks. As we go I'm going to announce cut-downs in the areas that we allow changes in.

Now, let's remember that the next stable version after 1.0 doesn't have to be 2.0. It can be 1.2. That is, after 1.0 the team can spend 3-6 months making 'moderate' improvements, and then release 1.2. There doesn't have to be an earth-shaking re-write that happens after 1.0 to produce 2.0 which takes another 2 years.

Finally, please remember that this is still actually meant to be fun. :)

David