wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Hebrew translation

From: Isaac Clerencia
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Hebrew translation
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:44:21 +0200

The complete message FYI:
Hi,

As my kid is playing BfW for some time now and loves it, I decided
to translate it to Hebrew. The problem, of course, was that Hebrew
is written from right to left (just like Arabic, Pharsi, etc.)

Luckily the source was very well organized so I needed to change
a very small piece of it to apply the Unicode bidirectional algorithm.
For this conversion I used the fribidi library which is bundled with
most Linux distributions (e.g: Fedora, debian, etc.).

I've also patched the configure.ac file so the bidi support is
activated by the --with-fribidi flag to configure (off by default).

I originally wanted to send it only when I have a significant
percentage of the strings translated. However, the wesnoth version
bumped from 0.9.3 to 0.9.4 before I managed to do this. I realized
my mistake -- "Release early, release often...". So here it is,
although only some menus and keywords are translated, it is meant
to put the framework for further translation to Hebrew and other
BIDI languages.

Thanks for a great software,

Isaac Clerencia at Warp Networks, http://www.warp.es
Work: <address@hidden>   | Debian: <address@hidden>