ww-tedit-dev

Re: [ww-tedit-dev] proportional fonts

From: Tzvetan Mikov
Subject: Re: [ww-tedit-dev] proportional fonts
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:12:13 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "petar marinov" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 2:16 PM
Subject: [ww-tedit-dev] proportional fonts

> I wondered if it worths the effort to investigate the possibility of
> using proportional fonts for all purposes outside the very editing of
> text files -- menus, status lines, etc. All this for the GUI emulation
> mode only.

I don't think that would be a good idea. Proportional fonts require a very
different approach for screen composition - the existing framework for menus,
dialog boxes, etc will have to be abandoned. If we are talking about
for the menus or the file-open dialog box. That will kill the extreme simplicity
and ellegance of porting WW to any platform (new clumsy GUI abstractions will
have to be created), will destroy the consistent look and feel and, most
importantly, will not bring any usability benefits.

(I couldn't care less whether MSDEV's menus use proportional fonts)

> I started thinkig about it when musing about flexible storing of palette
> in the .ini files.

Which goes to show that too much thinking is not always a good thing :-)

-tz