www-he-translating

[Targnum-translating] TarGNUm style translating tutorial

From: the duke
Subject: [Targnum-translating] TarGNUm style translating tutorial
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 17:29:59 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Edo Amin" <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 10:44:02 +0300
To: "the duke" <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: TarGNUm semi-monthly status report 15

> I'm not sure what do you mean by HTML. Please be more specific. i can think
> about a 100 ways to make HTML out of it.

Right. The best one would be to make the changes on a copy of the original
document. meaning to translate directly on the HTML document.

I made a translation simulation of the document you sent me (only I pasted your
text instead of translating) and saved it in different stages (forming a
translation tutorial examples).

Here is an explanation of each of the files in the zip file according to the
stages they were used in:

0) first I changed the filename to why-copyleft.he.doc. the hebrew files are
named after the english files, only they end with .he.html (but your file was a
.doc file)

1) I saved the .doc translation document you sent me as a .txt document:
    why-copyleft.txt
  (oh, look, 10% of the .doc file size. much better)

2) then I saved the original page on my computer using mozilla (it's just my
favorite browser), using the menu: view->page source
then: file->save page as

tha's the page:
  why-copyleft.html

I _don't_ use "file->save page as" from the main window since it will also save
images, and will modify the links, and generally will ruin the page for our
purposes. from MSIE you can save the source just as easily since it opens in
the notepad.

3) then I saved a copy of why-copyleft.html and called it why-copyleft.he.html

4) I opened why-copyleft.he.html with the mozilla composer (the best free HTML
editor me and Dov could find, that also handles hebrew normally. works on
windows AND GNU/Linux). In the composer I
               A) replaced the
                  <link REV="made" HREF="mailto:address@hidden";>
                  line on the head of the HTML source with:
                  <link rev="translated" href="mailto:address@hidden";>
               B) added dir="rtl" to the <body ...> tag
               C) translated the header, the picture text, and the language
                  links while running them over (they are short and easy to
                  remember.
               D) added "hebrew" to the translation links, where it would
                  appear in anglish alphabetic order.
               E) copied the translated language links over the untranslated
ones
                  at the bottom of the page
               F) copied each of your translated paragraph over it's original
                  paragraph (instead of translating it)
               G) if there were links, I would create them in the translated
                  paragraph each time I finished translating a paragraph.

you can see the result in  why-copyleft.he.stage1.html.

5) I added (in the composer "HTML source" tab)
       dir="ltr"
   to each <p> tag in the copyright area at the bottom of the page in order to
   make it align to the right.
   then added the words "&#1494;&#1499;&#1493;&#1509;" (a shorthand for
"&#1494;&#1499;&#1493;&#1497;&#1493;&#1514;
&#1497;&#1493;&#1510;&#1512;&#1497;&#1501;") and
"&#1514;&#1493;&#1512;&#1490;&#1501;" at
   the right places, just to mark the spots where these should appear.

you can see the result in  why-copyleft.he.stage2.html.

6) I updated the "back to the GNU homepage" link at the bottom of the page (by
   copying it from the free-doc.he.html page. a randomly chosen page. I could
use
   reliable.he.html just the same)
   And then copied from the same page the copyright notice and the "translated
by"
   line.
   The year numbers in the translated copyright notice were updated to match
the
   english version and to include the current year, and the "translated by"
line
   was updated to include your name and not include the editor.

you can see the result in  why-copyleft.he.stage3.html.

7) Then I deleted the original english text from the document and received a
translated page in it's final form.

you can see the result in  why-copyleft.he.stage4_final.html.

8) then I used the mozilla composer option:
    file->save as Charset...
   to save the document in Unicode (utf-8) format. This way nobody has to have
   hebrew support especially installed in order to see the hebrew. This step is
   not mandatory, but it does make a nice finish.
   (plus, it became less than half in size. that happens sometimes. sometimes
it
    becomes bigger. you can't predict that)

you can see the result in  why-copyleft.he.stage5_utf8.html.

That's it! we have now a translation ready to be packed and sent to an editor.
In case it needs updating, the editor will take care of it.

IMPORTANT!
Do NOT crate the HTML file using MS Word or any other .doc editor! (like
openoffice). The conversion of .doc to .html inserts tons of junk into the HTML
and makes it much bigger than it can and should be.

Note that in TarGNUm we prefer the zip files to be in .tar.gz format (can be
achieved by using the "tar -czvf" in cygwin on windows, using the same command
on GNU/Linux). This preferance is due to the fact that .zip files are based on
a proprietary algorithm, and is not native to GNU/Linux. .tar.gz has support on
most known platforms.

Also note that the "final" page I sent you is a final translation, not a final
edited page. I didn't check the translation style and quality (at a shallow
inspection it looks high quality) , and didn't look for typos, so I can't write
any editor remarks so far. these will come as the document will be edited.

In case you need help with the HTML code parts, let me know, and I'll give you
a more detailed explanations on these parts.

As you see in the example, the copyright notice refers to the original
copyright holder - whether it is the FSF, Richard Stallman, Paul Allen or
Shimon Peres
the only thing we change is the year count and the line refering to the english
source.

the "translated by" should really point to you.

> > Do you think I should include this question and answer on the TraGNUm
> page?
>
> yes, what is the URL actually?

No URL as to now. Sorrowfully the GNU guys are very slow at responding, and
putting the TarGNUm page on their servers demands quite a lot of negotiation.
Dov, as the contact man is handling that and updates me when there are news.
Once there will be a URL I will inform everyone.

In case the page goes online and you don't see this question in it, remind me
to put it in!
thanks.

> > > 3 - what's the savanna stuff anyway
> >
> > Savannah is a nice greenhouse that fives us some tools to handle the
> TarGNUm project in a way that wasn't possible without it. That is, mailing
> lists (we have two) with archives, a homepage (that's not their strong side.
> we're still negotiating that), members listing and some other features we do
> not use today (like todo lists), and some features we might never use.
> >
> > If you know SourceForge
>
> Heard the name, but I'm no developer, so I never ventured into it. Never
> mind about either of them, just please understand I'm not familiar with them
> or their likes.

It's OK, I'm still learning the savannah tricks myself.

sault!
    the duke

 p.s.
--------
I added you to the TarGNUm savannah project