www-he-translating

[Targnum-translating] language links

From: the duke
Subject: [Targnum-translating] language links
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:24:17 -0700

And two of them make no language links.
so we cannot trust a current cross-translation-teams standard, but we can trust the future UTF-8 standard which is also supported by Luis who coordinates the translations. making our current english order the best if we want to save us the job of reordering the links on all of the pages when the future standard takes place.

actually by looking at other pages you can see that european languages - with a latin character set - set their own order, while the japanese and chinese translations maintained the original order, korean dutch greek thai an hungarian left the english names (the reasons for this are clear, but in our discussions me and Dov realised that the links are meant for hebrew readers who want to see another languages), and the russians didn't even make language links.... and so the conclusion is that languages with a non-latin character set kept the english order, some of them even with the english characters. this, in addition to the UTF-8 future standard makes a strong argument not contradicted by your examples.

so to me the english order still seems the right one, but again, you are most welcome to bring it up on the translation mailing list

salut!
    the duke

ZMan ZMan wrote:

P.S. :

as for the Alphabetic Sorting of the [ Translation Table-Links ] :

please visit

here : http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/apsl.fr.html
here : http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/apsl.pl.html
and here : http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/apsl.id.html

and try to look at the sorting of these... my indonesian isn't as good
as my french, which is much worse than my polish, which in turn is
utterly inferior to my english, which even if not equal to my hebrew is
still good.

i think i've rest my case. ;)

greets,

moran z.