xbindkeys-devel

[Xbindkeys-devel] Xbindkeys question

From: Philippe Brochard
Subject: [Xbindkeys-devel] Xbindkeys question
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 21:20:59 +0200

From: "josh toyota" <address@hidden>
Subject: Xbindkeys question
To: address@hidden
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 01:11:50 -0400

Hi,

I was looking at the source code for xbindkeys1.8.2 and I have a few
questions.  First I'd like to tell you why I'm looking at it in hope for
guidence:

I am looking for an example of setting up a global key hook in X on a
specific key (the windows key) for a program I am writting.  xbindkeys is
perfect because it sets global keyboard hooks, AND it isn't specific to
Desktop Environments||GUIs.  Are there any tutorials, books, or documents
that I should read that could help me with accomplishing this task.

Also, why do you use the XNextEvent() function.  I ask because, yes, it
looks at the next event in X's queue, but it also removes the event from
the queue (unless the documentation is wrong).  If the documentation is
not wrong, how do you pass the event back to X to process it as it usually
would, say, in the following situation:

the event in the queue you are looking at doesn't match the event you want
(eg. a key you added a hook to in the config files).

i hope all of this made sense.  I look forward to hearing your response.

Sincerely,

Jearsh