xbindkeys-devel

Re: [Xbindkeys-devel] Binding stops working after layout change

From: Alberto Sánchez Molero
Subject: Re: [Xbindkeys-devel] Binding stops working after layout change
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 09:31:22 +0200

Spanish:
ButtonPress event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x5600001,
    state 0x10, button 10, same_screen YES
ButtonRelease event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x5600001,
    state 0x10, button 10, same_screen YES
Finnish:
ButtonPress event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x5600001,
    state 0x10, button 10, same_screen YES
ButtonRelease event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x5600001,
    state 0x2010, button 10, same_screen YES
US:
ButtonPress event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x5600001,
    state 0x10, button 10, same_screen YES
ButtonRelease event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x5600001,
    state 0x4010, button 10, same_screen YES

For some reason unknown to me, the state of the button release event changes with the keyboard layout (for every mouse button in the same way). The changed bits are 13th and 14th, which according to X11/X.h don't have any meaning. Wiping all the meaningless bits from the state makes it work for all my layouts. I think it shouldn't break anything. Patch is attached.

Best regards,
Alberto

Alberto Sánchez Molero writes:

> Hello, I'm having a little annoying problem when using xbindkeys. After
> switching from Spanish to Finnish or US keyboard layout, my binding stops
> working. When I switch back to Spanish, it works again.

Hello. Can you check your binding with xev?

Something like this (without xbindkeys running):

$ xev |grep -i button

Try your button with different layout and check the output to see if
something change between layout. (you may have to remove the grep if
the output is not sufficient).

[... Snip useful information ...]

Regards,

Philippe