[XBoard-devel] Some thoughts on Winboard i18n

From: A. Alper ATICI
Subject: [XBoard-devel] Some thoughts on Winboard i18n
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 03:06:07 +0200

Hello everybody,

I haven't heard any progress on Winboard i18n so far. So, I'd like to
pitch in sth, hoping it helps:

A major hurdle for Winboard i18n seems to be integrating gettext with
windows resource file. If anybody has an idea on how to do it, please
step forward. Once this is figured out, the rest is no big deal.
OTOH, I don't think such a handcrafted resource file will later play
nicely with MS Dev Studio's (or any other) resource editor, if not with
the resource compiler.
So, dropping gettext-based i18n for Winboard and making use of what's
been provided for it by win32 might be more appropriate after all.

(Side note: wxWindows has its own resource file format(XRC) that
supports strings marked for gettext, -sigh!)

--
A. Alper ATICI
PGP keys @ http://web.ttnet.net.tr/alperatici/anahtar.asc