Re: [XBoard-devel] Xboard GTK on Windows

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Xboard GTK on Windows
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 22:26:43 -0700

Hi

On 06/21/2011 06:29 AM, h.g. muller wrote:
> At 14:31 21-6-2011 +0200, Michel Van den Bergh wrote:
>> *** error: gettext infrastructure mismatch: using a Makefile.in.in
>> from gettext version 0.18 but the autoconf macros are from gettext
>> version 0.17
>
> I had the same problem, and Tim had the soluton to run "gettextize -f"
> before all of the above.
>
> This works, but unfortunately not without side effects. It alters many
> files that are in git,
> so I cannot use "git commit -a" (which I like to use,lazy as I am...) to
> commit my changes anymore .
> And what is worse, it prevents me from changing branch ("git checkout
> xxx"), because
> "the working tree is dirty".

not sure what the best solution to this problem is... since we have
different versions of gettext we will, I guess, always get these
problems...

Here are possible solutions I can think of:

* do a git reset --hard by hand after changing the gettext version every
time and make sure you don't commit any gettext changes

* add a git branch with a local commit, something like

-A-B-C master; origin/master
      \
       D local

  where D contains the change of the gettext version and perhaps the
changes in the resoluting po files, etc (so that your working tree is
clean). The local-branch could then be configured to be always
automatically rebased on master... that way you could track savannah
with master and use master to push back and whenever you want to build
you could just rebase local and build from there... Guess there would be
a risk to run into merge conflicts whenever a pot/po file gets changed
in savannah?

* update to gettext 18.1

* run configure with --disable-nls might solve the problem too in case
you are not interested in the other languages

cheers
        ARUN