[XBoard-devel] mime type installation

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: [XBoard-devel] mime type installation
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 22:03:35 -0800

Hi

I just tried to package xboard for opensuse... haven't checked the build
server in a while and noticed that by adding some new files I need to
add them to the rpm too... while doing that I noticed that the xdg
commands don't work for rpm, so I started looking into this a bit... the
main problem is that those commands install the files/update a database,
so you need to run them during the rpm install, but most distributions
seem to have macros for that. In which case the xdg program shouldn't be
called during install directly. I think the easiest way is to add a
configure option, if "make install" should call the xdg program or not.
That way it will be easy for the distributions to avoid the xdg program
calls and use their macros and for the individual user to install it
locally.

Many programs seem to use "update-mime-database" instead of "xdg-mime
install". Anyone know the difference?

For opensuse there are macros for "update-mime-database" and
"xdg-desktop-menu install", but I haven't figured how to link the icons,
so perhaps the xdg-programs need to be called from the spec file for that.

I hope to get this fixed by the weekend... anyone else noticed any
problems with 4.6.0?

cheers
        Arun