Re: [XBoard-devel] Everything ready for 4.6.0 (?)

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Everything ready for 4.6.0 (?)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:03:17 +0100

At 02:01 23-2-2012 +0100, Byrial Jensen wrote:

I wonder if it would break anything to translate "Hidden Tags" in Gamelist options (gamelist.c:624). As far as I can see it will not, so I think it should be done.

There seems indeed no danger, as the identification of the tags only continues until it encounters something it does not know.

Another issue: please beware that things like ngettext can currently not be used in the backend without breaking translation in WinBoard, as this only implements _(). I don't know if it is acceptable to write

ngettext( _(singular) , _(plural), count)

in that case (this would work in WinBoard, which is compiled with ENABLE_NLS off).

For the engine-output title I fixed this now (it was broken there anyway, because in that file not even _() was defined to do something). But this works only in that file,and in other files using ngettext would still break things.

I wonder why in every file we have an ever-growing #ifdef ENABLE_NLS section, while we also #include "gettext.h". Shouldn't this simply be moved to "gettext.h" (which, after all, is not <gettext.h>)? Then fixes like I made now for engineoutput.c would automatically be valid for the entire project.