Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.7.3: Full board textures + maximize window

From: Sebastian Pipping
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] XBoard 4.7.3: Full board textures + maximize window
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 16:17:49 +0200

Hello,

On 16.09.2014 15:56, H.G. Muller wrote:
> I don't consider this a bug. Just a limitation of the supplied
> Xiangqi-board bitmap. If people want to use big Xiangqi boards, they can
> provide their own bitmap.

are you saying the solution is to scale up the board image, save it, and
use that for the texture?  With single-pixel lines (as in the current
xqboard.png) that will not be pretty and the approach itself does not
scale since this way the window always has to be smaller than a fixed
size image.  Using a 9000x10000 pixel image might be practical for
window sizes a human produces, but I don't consider that a solution.

> The switch is also not exactly what you say: the if() statements merely
> distinguish the case where you can cut out the squares in a
> non-overlapping way (and even might have freedom positioning them), or
> where they necessarily overlap. In the latter case you try to make them
> overlap as little as possible. But that can still be a far cry from
> having a single tile. There is a continuous transition. And there really
> is no freedom in which of the two cut-out formulas to use: the
> overlapping one is always inferior, but non-overlapping cut-out is not
> possible if the texture is not large enough. So it makes little sense to
> make an option that can force it to use the inferior formula.

In the case of a full-board texture the user will not want any tile
overlap because that wouldn't look like the board.  Even if had second
filed-drawing function for full-board textures, XBoard would need to
know if to apply it or not.  If you object to adding a switch for
full-board mode, I don't see how full board textures would be supported
properly as of now.

Best,

Sebastian