Re: [XBoard-devel] keyboard shortcutes

From: h . g . muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] keyboard shortcutes
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 10:12:56 +0100

Op Do, 17 maart, 2016 6:17 am schreef Arun Persaud:
> Hi
>

> perhaps we should also check, if we can adjust keyboard shortcuts to be
> more in line with the different OS we are using (not sure what the status
> on that is)...

The problem is that XBoard's is quite unlike any typical application for
which these guidelines are designed. In the menu dialogs things already
conform to the rules of the host OS, as we leave them entirely to GTK. The
only accelerators we define ourselves are these for XBoard's main menus.

XBoard's operation is not based on the concept of 'documents'. (What would
they be? Engines? Positions? Games? Loaded game databases?) Its window
does not have tabs between you gave to navigate. So most actions for which
the guidelines define keystrokes are completely meaningless in the context
of XBoard. OTOH the menu functions needed most, like setting the engine to
play white or black, start or stop analysis, are completely meaningless to
the typical application. I have never seen a text editor where you can
only type the even words, and then have to wait until it comes up with the
following odd word before it is your turn again to type...

I don't think there can be much benefit in following rules that were
designed for something completely different. They are more likely to be a
severe hindrance.