Re: [XBoard-devel] gnome help files

From: h . g . muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] gnome help files
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 13:03:20 +0100

Op Do, 17 maart, 2016 6:15 am schreef Arun Persaud:
> Hi
>

> anyone knows if we can create gnome help files from texinfo? Might be
> interesting to remove the man/info calls with the built-in gnome help.

I am not sure what would be gained by casting the same text in yet another
format. (We already supply man and info, although the info does not seem
to be installed.)

The main problem seems to be that no one is prepared to read length texts
like this, nowadays. The texi file is a 'reference manual', suited for
looking up the ultimate in-depth info on a specific option or menu item.
Unfortunately the man format is rather unfriendly for random access to
what you want to know, but the help-clicks now mostly solve that. (We
could still think about how to solve the issue of interactive help on
window items that have no text label, such as the board or clocks, or the
evaluation graph.)

If anything else is to be provided, it should be juicy tutorials,
succinctly describing how to perform certain elementary tasks.