Re: [XForms] skin packages for XForms?

From: Todd Denniston
Subject: Re: [XForms] skin packages for XForms?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:57:25 -0400

Jens Thoms Toerring wrote, On 03/18/2010 05:32 PM:
> Hi Alessandro,
>
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 03:21:13PM +0100, alessandro basili wrote:
>> I'm using XForms since a couple of years and in my group there
>> hasn't been a real interest in changing the aspect of the interfaces
>> because a lot of efforts have been put into consistency and
>> simplicity.
>>
>> I'm just wondering whether in the community there are people who
>> have worked out an easy way to modify aspect parameters in order to
>> have a nicer appearance.
>
> I am not aware that there would be any code out there that would
> allow to do "skinning" of a XForms application, at least no sup-
> port is built into XForms (and it would probably be rather dif-
> ficult to achieve that given the way it was written, long before
> anybody came up with the idea of "skinning"), sorry.
>
> The only thing you can do is change the border width using the
> '-bw' option, and, of course, some aspects can be configured
> via resource settings.
>
> But perhaps someone else has some god ideas how something like
> "skinning" can be achieved...
>                                 Best regards, Jens

I have not done XForms in a while, but here is something done with a theme that
worked with motif a
few years ago (before they added themes), which might work with XForms.

Of course if my memory serves me, many of those resources may be *tif specific,
but perhaps it gives
you ideas.

http://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.5/doc/man/man7/X.7.html
"-xrm resourcestring
    This option specifies a resource name and value to override any defaults.
It is also very useful
for setting resources that don't have explicit command line arguments. "

have fun.