[XForms] Thanks for the great library!

From: Frank Cox
Subject: [XForms] Thanks for the great library!
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 15:09:42 -0600

The software that I write tends to be of the long-term, "we'll look at that
again in twenty years" type. A water vending machine that I wrote in the 80's
is still working fine today, counting beats from a water meter and moving
thousands of gallons of (paid for) water every day. I've recompiled it a few
times for newer hardware, but there is no user interface so that hasn't been
problem. And I just had a phone call a year or so back from a drilling outfit
asking a question about the logging software that I wrote for them in the early
90's. I hadn't realized that it was still in use until that phone call.

The stumbling block in this stuff always seems to be user interfaces. Something
that just reads input X and prints Y on the screen or on paper is no problem,
but as soon as you start showing anything much fancier than that you're looking
for trouble.

For the past several years I've been using ncurses for most of my user
interfaces -- it hasn't changed significantly since the mid-90's and it works
very well.

However, these days folks expect a fancy gui and I've been looking for a stable
library to provide that for quite a while. Since I'm one of those nutheads that
writes his programs in C (not C++) that lets out things like wxWidgets.

I've done a few minor things using GTK+ but that's a constantly moving target
and while I like the results I'm not impressed with the function calls that
either disappear or change over time so I'm a bit afraid to use it for anything
much more significant than toys and experiments. GTK+ also puts out cats and
makes coffee, which is nice in some ways but doesn't exactly make it a simple
user interface library. My "holy grail" has been a simple gui library that with
a C api that isn't constantly evolving; basically a gui version of something
like ncurses.

And a few weeks ago I finally found xforms.

I'm thrilled.  Really.

I think it looks pretty too -- I don't mind that old-school X11/CDE style.

Thanks, Jens Thoms Toerring and everyone else who's worked on and contributed
to this library over the years.  I am truly grateful to you.

Now I'm wondering how I managed to overlook xforms for so many years since it
really is just what I've been looking for.

Incidentally, if anyone needs or wants Centos/RHEL 7 rpms for xforms, I've made
them available here:  http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles/el7/