Re: [XForms] Thanks for the great library!

From: Frank Cox
Subject: Re: [XForms] Thanks for the great library!
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 16:49:22 -0600

http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles/el7/index.html#xforms

> Can you write the
> program in a way that it can use ncurses or XForms for the user
> interaction as alternatives? If that's possible I'd go for that
> since it will allow you to pick a different GUI toolkit should you
> become dissatisfied with XForms.

That's a good idea.  I've done some stuff that automatically determines whether
we're running on a terminal and does that terminal have ncurses support or not
and do we or don't we have a mouse, then uses that feedback  to decide how
pretty to make the output and where we're going to put it.  xforms could be
just another thing to throw on the pile as the top choice that fails downward
through the rest of the options.  I don't know if I would be that ambitious
with everything though since that means I'll have to design a user-facing
screen two or three times over, but for some stuff an approach like that might
be worth while.

Thus far I haven't really done anything with xforms outside of reading the
documentation and playing around with it a bit.  But I'm really happy with my
mousing and button clicking so far.  This is a cool new toy (new to me at
least) and I'm still in the "gosh wow" stage.