[XForms] Why does gcc not find the forms library?

From: Peter Rowat
Subject: [XForms] Why does gcc not find the forms library?
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:32:35 -0700

On OS X, I’ve installed XForms and compiled the demos and they all work.
But trying to compile the simplest program directly, e.g.

gcc -o pshme pshme.c -lforms

fails with "ld: library not found for -lforms
Same happens if I tell gcc where to look:

gcc -o pshme pshme.c -L/….../xforms-1.2.4/lib -lforms

ls lib/*forms*
lib/forms.c lib/forms.lo lib/forms.o lib/libforms.la lib/xforms.5 lib/xforms.man

No doubt it is something very trivial, but I’ve spent a long time trying to fix this.

Peter R