xlog-discussion

[Xlog-discussion] Update for the README on hamlib

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: [Xlog-discussion] Update for the README on hamlib
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 19:33:14 +0100

Here is a short update for the README file in version
0.6, which explains hamlib a bit more. I hope this will be
good enough for people to get started with xlog + hamlib.

TESTING HAMLIB
--------------
At this point you should probably read your rig's manual, to see how you
should hook up your rig to the serial port. For my kenwood rig, I need
a standard serial cable with two 9-pin connectors. You also need write
permission to the serial port. On my system, this means I need to add
myself to the dialout group, with a command like:

        adduser 'username' dialout

Next, you can test hamlib with rigctl, a binary distributed with hamlib.
See which rigs are supported:

        rigctl --list

Then start rigctl with your model number, e.g. '210' for a kenwood TS-870S,
hooked up to COM2:

        rigctl -r /dev/ttyS1 -m 210

Now you can check out if mode, PTT, frequency and signal strength
(all used by xlog) are retrieved. At the 'Rig command:' prompt, type:

        'f': retrieve frequency
        'm': retrieve mode
        't': retrieve PTT (TX/RX mode)
        'l' and then 'STRENGTH': retrieve signal strength (-54=S0 and 0=S9)

Bye,
Joop PA4TU