xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] Log as diary

From: Leigh L Klotz, Jr.
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Log as diary
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:18:20 -0800

Patrick,
I.would be interested in working with you further on XML formats. You might want to take a look at XDIF. I am on the ADIF committee and worked there to get some acceptance for XML enumerations, which they agreed to in principle. I produced enumerations for all but the political entities.

I would prefer not to use DTDs, and have written an XML Schema and a RNG Schema for XDIF.

I think my current XDIF proposal needs to be scaled back slightly, to reduce the number of namespaces (I was using them for extensions such as ARRL FD and contests, which is OK, but I also used them for mode data such as meteor, which isnt) and to simplify the mode type to remove emission (especially since emission is no longer a required component of Ofcom logs). Also, the very latest rev which unifies the enumerations I did for ADIF isn't on my site.

I also have a SAX reader for ADIF that emits XML, and an XSLT that converts this representation (where element names have things like MY_ in them, as in ADIF) to nested XML XDIF (where <my> is a container). And an XSLT for producing ADIF from XDIF.

I have also written dup elimination and scoring in XLST 1.0, and found it doable but painful. The goal of having self-describing contests is a good one, but I think XQuery is more likely to succeed here and I would like to revisit the logcheck and scoring with XQuery.

If this discussion goes much longer we hould probably move it to address@hidden as Joop and Marty can follow it there and the xlog users can skip it.

73 es GL,
Leigh/WA5ZNU
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 1:52 pm, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 09:46:57PM +0100, Joop Stakenborg wrote:

 Op dinsdag 26-02-2008 om 14:44 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Martin
 Ewing AA6E:

 >   Conventional logging apps seem to grow out of contesting needs
> historically, and they're not trying to fully emulate the way I (for
 > one) used my paper log.

 Hi Leigh and Martin,

 interesting topic. There are already plans to add XDIF support to a
 future version of xlog, although it make take a while. XDIF would add
much more log-information such as which transceiver was used, from which
 QTH did we make contacts and so on...

 In the meantime, adding a general note field to the log is not such a
 bad idea. But how do we display it? Would this information need to be
 visible all the time or is a simple popup dialog sufficient? I am open
 to ideas...

Seems like yo want a union data type - either a qso entry or a general
comments entry. My thoughts turn to an XML DTD representation (cause I've
been working with XML, and when all you have is a hammer everything
looks like a nail) like the following:

<!DOCTYPE log [
<!ELEMENT log (note*, qso*)>
<!ELEMENT note (date, time, comment)>
<!ELEMENT qso (frequency, mode, date, time, serialnumber, callsign, myrst, theirrst, exchange)>
<!ELEMENT frequency      (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT mode    (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT date (day, month, year)>
<!ELEMENT time (hour, min)>
<!ELEMENT serialnumber    (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT comment    (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT myrst    (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT theirrst (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT exchange (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT day    (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT month (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT year (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT hour (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT min (#PCDATA)>
]>

So the xml data file would look like:

<log>
  <note>
    <date>
      <day>29</day>
      <month>JAN</month>
      <year>2008</year>
    </date>
    <time>
      <hour>15</hour>
      <min>05</min>
    </time>
<comment>This is my log comment, changed antenna guy wires</comment>
  </note>
  <qso>
     .... qso information  ....
  </qso>
  <note>
     .... another station log note ......
  </note>
</log>

I'm sure I've made a error or two in the above, but you should be able
to see what I mean.

The down side to this is all the extra tags XML needs compared to the
current xlog file format (but if you were going xdif you are adding tags
anyway).

I was looking at creating a contest logging program with an XML
definition file for contest rules, and XML for the native log format.
The idea behind the XML rules was to be able to describe all the quirky
rules and not have any of that hard coded into the logging program (like
all the other contest loggers seem to have).

If you are interested, I can forward my thoughts on the rules XML format
too.

Pat

--

Patrick Ouellette                 address@hidden