xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] Install help

From: Bob Nielsen
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Install help
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 07:08:09 -0700

On Sep 1, 2008, at 11:11 PM, Joop Stakenborg wrote:

Op maandag 01-09-2008 om 16:10 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Stewart
Whitehouse:
Hi,
I tried to install xlog 1.8.1 from tar but can not find it. I still show 1.6.2 installed. synaptic shows that 1.6.2 is the latest version and the
version installed. I did the tar install from Desktop. I am running
UBUNTU and still a linux novice.
Any help will be appreciated.
Stew ke4yh

Hi Stewart,

Open a terminal window and become root using the 'su' command.

First of all, you need to uninstall your ubuntu xlog package by typing
'apt-get remove xlog' in a terminal. You don't want conflicting xlog
versions.

Next, install the packages needed for building xlog: 'apt-get install
build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libhamlib-dev'.

As a normal user unpack the xlog source tree (the tarball) somwhere in
your home directory: 'tar xvzf xlog-1.8.1.tar.gz' and follow the
instructions in the INSTALL file, unpacked in xlog-1.8.1/INSTALL.

Since there is by default no login root user in Ubuntu, you need to use sudo to assume the role of the root user. In the terminal window, type 'sudo apt-get remove xlog'. Also use sudo for any system activities, including the 'make install' step when compiling from a tarball.

Bob, N7XY