xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] Install help]

From: T + J Williams
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Install help]
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 12:38:54 -0500

Hi Folks,

This is a little off the subject, but here goes. Sri.

> > Since there is by default no login root user in Ubuntu, you need to
> > use sudo to assume the role of the root user.  In the terminal
> > window, type 'sudo apt-get remove xlog'.  Also use sudo for any
> > system activities, including the 'make install' step when compiling
> > from a tarball.
> >
> > Bob, N7XY

I always found using sudo on Ubuntu to be a pain. I "grew up" using su to
become
root, do what need to be done, and then exiting to get out of the root shell.

Here is a little trick I use to give root a valid password on Ubuntu.
Just run:
"sudo sh"

You will get a shell as root, and can then run
"passwd" to set a root password.

I know... security.

--
73,