xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] Re: Xlog-discussion Digest, Vol 72, Issue 2

From: Jan Ditzian
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Re: Xlog-discussion Digest, Vol 72, Issue 2
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 08:21:20 -0500

On 01/03/2010 01:25 AM, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:

     Jan>  Here is the error message I get with gMFSK:

     Jan>  sound_open_for_write: opensnd: open: /dev/dsp: Device or
     Jan>  resource busy

Something else is using the sound device. One such else can
surprisingly be firefox: if you visit a flash site with audio
(youtube, for example), the flash plugin will grab your soundcard and
will not release it until you close firefox. Closing the tab or the
window will not suffice, you have to close firefox at all.

I thank all for the responses. Fldigi seems to work when gMFSK does not. I have already tried shutting down everything but gMFSK (I think), and it still did not work. My latest wrinkle is that the T/R switch on my Omni has gone out, so I have no amp, and that is my next project. However, I will try one more thing soon. I will reboot, and try gMFSK as the first program after getting back into Linux. I strongly suspect that it will give me the same error message, but we shall see.

73,

Jan, KX2A