xlog-discussion

[Xlog-discussion] Re: Xlog-discussion Digest, Vol 72, Issue 2

From: Jan Ditzian
Subject: [Xlog-discussion] Re: Xlog-discussion Digest, Vol 72, Issue 2
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 18:25:44 -0500

Ed,

Please excuse the look of this e-mail.  Suddenly, my mail program replies do not have the content of the original e-mail below what is on the screen.

Your question about why I think that Hamlib has software PTT, is that with my other computer, gMFSK operated the PTT on my Omni VI.  Perhaps it was gMFSK that did this, and not Hamlib, but it is surely a software command, because I do not have any other PTT wired up, and the vox is off.

I have dug further into my whole problem with gMFSK and I expect that Linuxham may be the more appropriate place to deal with it, although this group has been quite indulgent and helpful in this area.

Late Friday, it suddenly occurred to me that my error message had nothing to do with PTT.  I did the experiment of disconnecting the rig, telling gMFSK not to operate PTT, and then trying to generate a PSK or RTTY diddle.  The same error message up, and I realized that it is saying that the computer cannot talk through the sound card, even though it listens just fine, and it talks just fine to play videos or play system sounds.

Here is the error message I get with gMFSK:

sound_open_for_write: opensnd: open: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

If someone here has insight based on this message, I would appreciate it.  If it is more appropriate, I will continue to chase this at Linuxham, but I do not want to keep two threads open on different discussion boards at the same time, so I won't go back there unless someone decides to respond to my earlier posts.  I came here first, so I will sopt posting on this thread if there is no further input, but I await the pleasure of this group.

BTW, HNY all.

Jan, KX2A