xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] What's new with xlog ?

From: Ed
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] What's new with xlog ?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 07:26:37 -0500

On 11/14/2012 04:57 AM, Stephen Gilbert wrote:
Hi Andy...I think before trying to include new features, some of the
existing problems  need to be looked at.

I put a query on the forum a while ago regarding the CTY.DAT file and
the fact that if I wanted to check, say, the beam heading of FO/a (which
is listed in the DXCC file in "Help" as Australs), I could not type a
lower case "a"  in the "Call" box - still can't !! It comes up  as
French Polynesia and not as Australs, in the scoring window. It keeps
coming up with "FO/A"., and ignoring the /A.  It would be nice to use a
"standard" CTY.DAT file, if such a thing exists,  which is used in a lot
of other loggers, rather than the file specifically for x-log.  In any
case, I think the existing CTY.DAT needs an overhaul. Another case is
3D2/r as Rotuma which comes up as Fiji in the "Scoring Window"

You can export the latest cty.dat if you build from source. Joop worked on this as the cty.dat was getting quite large and xlog had problems with it. I'm not sure where it is in the tarball.

Another thing is that I don't think the ADIF output from the log is  up
to modern protocols. I find that the xlog ADIF output does NOT include
the DXCC entity number.

Current ADIF is 2.2.6. This is the link to the newest version. The fields included are up to the person doing the coding.

 http://www.adif.org/adif226.htm

I'll look and see if I still have the tarball for the version Joop sent to volunteers to test.

Just a couple of things I keep finding on version 2.05. However, it is a
simple to use, straightforward, uncomplicated logger which works well in
most cases. Joop has done a good job over the years, for which we thank
him.

We don't want to overload you with this task you have taken on, but you
must have fun on the bands, and only work at xlog when you want to.

Regards, Steve, G3OAG

Ed W3NR