xouvert-general

RE: [Xouvert-general] Recent Popular questions turned into FAQ

From: David Ross
Subject: RE: [Xouvert-general] Recent Popular questions turned into FAQ
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:16:53 -0700

Perhaps we need a FAQ?  I would be happy to maintain it.  If my
questions/answers/definitions are incomplete/wrong/etc feel free to
change.

We could start off with:
1.)     Q)      Will Xouvert remove/modularize network transparency?  I
think we should do this to make X faster, more robust, or just plain
better.
        A) We *cannot* remove network transparency. Period. There is
absolutely no
question about it whatsoever. X11 *is* a _network_ protocol. I think the
reason everyone thinks its slow, is because everyone thinks that X11 on
a local machine goes thru TCP/IP. It doesn't. It uses UNIX sockets
which are very fast.

2.)     Q)      Why does Xouvert use the XFree License?  I think the
GPL/BSD/<my favourite license> is way better.
        A)      We are using the XFree License so that we maintain
license compatibility with Xfree86(tm) and so that we can contribute our
developments/code/improvements back to the XFree86 project.  We do not
want to fork the Xouvert and XFree86 projects.

3.)     Q)      I keep hearing this talk of forking and branching,
what's the diff?
        A)      If we were to fork Xouvert from XFree86, then we would
be creating a whole other X Window system.  We don't want to do that.
That would be bad because XFree86 is a proven accepted standard on many
platforms.  It is it already stable, but lacks some features that
I/we/you/he/she/someone wants.  That is why we are branching it--to pick
up the pace, and have a more public development process those developers
who want to work on X and for those who need to be on the bleeding edge.
A branch simply means that we want to have our work integrated back into
the larger whole and that we want to maintain compatibility with
XFree86.