[Audio-video] address@hidden: Video of you at UofC event on 2009-02-03]

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: [Audio-video] address@hidden: Video of you at UofC event on 2009-02-03]
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 10:33:32 -0500

Please get this speech posted, then ack.

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:52:23 -0700
Subject: Video of you at UofC event on 2009-02-03
From: gordon mcdowell <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

- --00c09f998dd75d044a0462d15627

Richard,

You asked for your UofC lecture to be made available in OGG THEORA format?

Took me a while, that's not a format I'm used to, but now I know how.

OGG THEORA:
http://www.archive.org/download/20090203-Richard-Stallman-UofC-01/20090203-Stallman-UofC-v19-512x288-vbr2500.ogm

It appears VLC media player can play it straight from that URL.

All raw footage will be found here...
http://www.archive.org/details/20090203-Richard-Stallman-UofC-01
http://ia310805.us.archive.org/3/items/20090203-Richard-Stallman-UofC-01/
...eventually but will take at least another week to finish uploading the
remaining ~10 GB.

And OGG VORBIS can be found at:
http://ia310805.us.archive.org/3/items/20090203-Richard-Stallman-UofC-01/20090203-Stallman-UofC-v18.ogg

If you want to double check the license (I didn't record you specifying it
so am working from memory)...
Creative Commons license: Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/>

I'd like to potentially use some of your lecture in a anti-bill-c-62 video
which I have not yet editing, but have been collecting footage for. I know
this would not be possible without your consent based on the license you
want the material under (i mean i'm not sure of the exact license but i did
get your general intent).

One video I created previously on Canadian copyright...
http://opensourcevideo.blogspot.com/2007/12/video-canadian-dmca-protect-your-anus.html

...is unfortunately in a format you would not appreciate (MPEG-4). I'll work
on converting that to OGG THEORA so you can review it, but in general, is
there a process I can follow so which I can tentitively edit you into an
anti C-62 (I'll just use that name for convenience although the final bill
will probably be not named that) video? I don't think you can give me an OK
without seeing the final product, and I can't start on it unless I know
there is a chance you will consider giving it an OK (or else too much of my
time could be wasted on it).

I've collaborated on videos before with people, with pretty tight feedback
loops. Here is the process I propose, which would be libre-compatible to you
I believe...

- - Richard says "Yes you will be able to use footage of my lecture in a
video, so long as I approve of the entire final video's edit."
- - Gord prepares rough-cut of video, uploads OGG THEORA render to Blip.TV as
a password-protected video entry. Password protecting the video entry does
not fully secure the URL, but it does obfuscate it from RSS feeds, which has
been adequite for all my previous projects.
- - Richard receives URL for video, reviews its content, grants OK or
feedback.
- - Repeat edit / feedback cycle until Richard satisfied with video.
- - Final video available online in all conceiveable formats including libre
formats. One such (non-libre) format is DVD ISO which faciliates
drop-in-mailbox distribution of the material.

I'm thinking the DVD (because DVDs need not be comprised of a single video)
can include a short 10-20 minute video covering dangers of C-62, and then
full length lectures on copyright by you, Cory Doctorow, Michael Geist....
basically anyone with anything intelligent to say on copyright. This would
also show how the snippets used in the 10-20 minute piece were presented in
their original context.

Please let me know how ok/not you are with this concept. We'll be
introducing a new copyright bill in Canada this fall...
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/3668/125/
...and I'd like to try a blanket informational approach instead of
last-minute-panic-protests.

Thanks for visiting Calgary,
- -Gord

- --
Gordon McDowell
address@hidden
cell: +1 (403) 512.7640

- --00c09f998dd75d044a0462d15627

Richard,<br><br>You asked for your UofC lecture to be made available in OGG=
 THEORA format?<br><br>Took me a while, that&#39;s not a format I&#39;m use=
ve.org/download/20090203-Richard-Stallman-UofC-01/20090203-Stallman-UofC-v1=
9-512x288-vbr2500.ogm">http://www.archive.org/download/20090203-Richard-Sta=
llman-UofC-01/20090203-Stallman-UofC-v19-512x288-vbr2500.ogm</a><br>

All raw footage will be found here...<br><a href=3D"http://www.archive.org/=
details/20090203-Richard-Stallman-UofC-01">http://www.archive.org/details/2=
0090203-Richard-Stallman-UofC-01</a><br clear=3D"all">
- -UofC-01/">http://ia310805.us.archive.org/3/items/20090203-Richard-Stallman=
- -UofC-01/</a><br>...eventually but will take at least another week to finis=
h uploading the remaining ~10 GB.<br>
e.org/3/items/20090203-Richard-Stallman-UofC-01/20090203-Stallman-UofC-v18.=
ogg">http://ia310805.us.archive.org/3/items/20090203-Richard-Stallman-UofC-=
01/20090203-Stallman-UofC-v18.ogg</a><br>
ying it so am working from memory)...<br><span class=3D"key">Creative Commo=
ns license:</span> <span class=3D"value"><a rel=3D"license" title=3D"Attrib=
ution-No Derivative Works 3.0 " href=3D"http://creativecommons.org/licenses=
/by-nd/3.0/" target=3D"_blank">Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 </a><br>
2 video which I have not yet editing, but have been collecting footage for.=
 I know this would not be possible without your consent based on the licens=
e you want the material under (i mean i&#39;m not sure of the exact license=
 but i did get your general intent).<br>
ttp://opensourcevideo.blogspot.com/2007/12/video-canadian-dmca-protect-your=
- -anus.html">http://opensourcevideo.blogspot.com/2007/12/video-canadian-dmca=
- -protect-your-anus.html</a><br>
9;ll work on converting that to OGG THEORA so you can review it, but in gen=
eral, is there a process I can follow so which I can tentitively edit you i=
nto an anti C-62 (I&#39;ll just use that name for convenience although the =
final bill will probably be not named that) video? I don&#39;t think you ca=
n give me an OK without seeing the final product, and I can&#39;t start on =
it unless I know there is a chance you will consider giving it an OK (or el=
se too much of my time could be wasted on it).<br>
eedback loops. Here is the process I propose, which would be libre-compatib=
le to you I believe...<br><br>- Richard says &quot;Yes you will be able to =
use footage of my lecture in a video, so long as I approve of the entire fi=
nal video&#39;s edit.&quot;<br>
- - Gord prepares rough-cut of video, uploads OGG THEORA render to Blip.TV as=
 a password-protected video entry. Password protecting the video entry does=
 not fully secure the URL, but it does obfuscate it from RSS feeds, which h=
as been adequite for all my previous projects.<br>
- - Richard receives URL for video, reviews its content, grants OK or feedbac=
k.<br>- Repeat edit / feedback cycle until Richard satisfied with video.<br=
>- Final video available online in all conceiveable formats including libre=
 formats. One such (non-libre) format is DVD ISO which faciliates drop-in-m=
ailbox distribution of the material.<br>
e video) can include a short 10-20 minute video covering dangers of C-62, a=
nd then full length lectures on copyright by you, Cory Doctorow, Michael Ge=
ist.... basically anyone with anything intelligent to say on copyright. Thi=
s would also show how the snippets used in the 10-20 minute piece were pres=
ented in their original context.<br>
ntroducing a new copyright bill in Canada this fall...<br><a href=3D"http:/=
/www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/3668/125/">http://www.michaelgeist.ca/con=
tent/view/3668/125/</a><br>