[Audio-video] [Fwd: Re: Video Person]

From: Jeanne Rasata
Subject: [Audio-video] [Fwd: Re: Video Person]
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:00:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,
Could someone please kindly get back to Andrew regarding his questions?
Thanks a lot for your time.
Sincerely,
j.

Subject: Re: Video Person
From:    "Andrew Railton" <address@hidden>
Date:    Fri, September 17, 2010 9:44 am
To:      "Jeanne Rasata" <address@hidden>

Jeanne

Please let me introduce myself. My name is Andrew Railton, and I have been
contracted by Myrene Portman, the organiser of the NICTA event in Brisbane
on September the 23rd 2010, that Richard will be speaking at. I have in the
past provided video recording and still photographic services for Myrene and
NICTA on numerous occaisions.

I have received and read the email from Myrene regarding Richards request to
have the video recording of his presentation encoded in the VP8 codec. I am
familiar with on2 software and the fact that google recently acquired on2
and te VP8 codec. etc...

I already own a licensed copy of ON2's Flix Standard, which enables me to
encode a copy of the video recording in VP6, however, with that license I
don't have the capacity to encode to VP8, as that has been developed in the
time since I purchased my license for Flix Standard. As I now understand it,
Encoding software for VP8 is now free software, so I was hoping you could
point me to where I might acquire a suitable free software application to do
the encode with.

Also, I gather that Richard has requested a copy of the video, is this
right? If so, what resolution, ie pixel dimensions, would he require the
encoded video in? This may have a bearing on the video format chosen to
originate the recording on.

Usually for the NICTA events, they are quite happy with a PAL standard
definition copy on DVD for their archiving, and a web suitable encoded
copy of roughly about 320 pixels wide.  And given these output requirements,
I usually record the event in HDV, then down size to Standard Definition in
my edit suite, then encode from the standed def copy to the web size. Which
in the past has been in the WMV codec at NICTA's web support peoples
request. However, for the next event, I will ensure that it will be encoded
in a free software codec.

So I was just wanting to be sure that Richard would be happy with the video
recording being originated on HDV tape, edited in a nonlinear editor using
the canopus Edius HQ codec, then encoded to a VP8 video file for web use?

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon to clarify these few questions
so we can proceed smoothly with the event on Thursday.

Sincerely...

Andrew Railton
address@hidden