[Chicken-users] New socket.scm

From: tonyg
Subject: [Chicken-users] New socket.scm
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:57:37 +0100

Okay, I've just uploaded chickenlib-20020812.tar.gz to

        http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/~tonyg/chicken/

It contains a reimplementation of socket.scm using Perry's idea (or at
least, what I understood Perry to be suggesting) of dealing with
sockaddr/sockaddr_in/sockaddr_un/etc. as proper types, and then making
accept/bind/connect general. Perry - was this more like what you were
after?

Documentation is still pretty scarce (== not there), so that's my next
job.

BTW: just for fun (nothing to do with sockets): using coroutine.scm I
set up 20,000 "microthreads", and sent events back-and-forth between
them - response time was surprisingly good... garbage-collection
starts to get noticeable at about that point. The heap was about 20
megabytes, all up. Not bad! The equivalent with multiplex.scm and
20,000 created (but blocked) threads-and-mailboxes was **much** slower
and took up about 90 megabytes of heap. Chicken should make an
*excellent* call-processing system...

Tony
--
Monkeys high on math -- some of the best comedy on earth
        - Tom Lord, regarding comp.lang.scheme