Re: [Chicken-users] Compilers vs. interpreters

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Compilers vs. interpreters
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:10:23 +0200

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 10:11:29PM -0400, Ed Watkeys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> All this talk of Chicken's differing behaviors when interpeting vs.
> compiling code has gotten me thinking. Who here uses compiled code
> and who here simply uses the interpreter? My work follows a rough
> 90/10 split: I never bother compiling the vast majority of the code I
> execute with Chicken.
>
> For my needs, performance is nearly always Good Enough when
> interpreted, and if it's not, I think about data structure and
> algorithmic changes before considering compiling.

Currently I use Chicken mostly for Spiffy web programming, so compiling is
not really an option.  For other projects, I usually don't compile at all,
either.

The only reason why I have to compile sometimes is when making eggs, so it
works in compiled form on other people's systems.  And that's when the
difference in behaviour bites me, when everything just stops working :)

Regards,
Peter
--
http://www.student.kun.nl/peter.bex