[Chicken-users] Re: first experiments with "simple-macros"

From: Michele Simionato
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: first experiments with "simple-macros"
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 06:55:33 +0000

Felix:

> The toplevel has by default the "scheme" and "chicken" modules
> imported. The "chicken" module exports everything that is provided
> by the "library" and "eval" library units. To use stuff from "extras", say:
>
> (use (module extras))
> (import extras)
>
> [Note the separation of loading/linking and import]

Thanks, this answered my next question ;)

> Hm. ",x" Works for me. What output do you get?

I take back what I said. I cannot reproduce the problem. Who knows
what happened, anyway now it seems to be okay.

> Keep in mind that this is really quite experimental (it isn't officially
> announced yet). We are working on the bleeding edge here... ;-)

Yes, this is why I waited some time before trying it, to have things
settled down for me ;) I read the first announcement on c.l.s. a while ago
and I thought it was too good to be true. What I like the most is the
module system, I have yet to test it seriously, but at least the
description in the SRFI document makes sense and it is more or less
what I had desired for a module system for my first day in Scheme
(I remember at that time I escaped from the Mzscheme module system
which I felt overcomplicated; I also hated the fact that it forced me
to write macro definitions and helper functions in separate modules,
for reasons that never convinced me). A thing I have always looked at
with suspicion in Chicken (suspicion of being more complicated than
needed) is eval-when: OTOH, van Tonder's system works in a pretty
obvious and reasonable way (by default things are evaluated both
at compile time and import time; if you want to evaluate things
at compile time only you say so and if you want to evaluate things
at import time only you say so: the quintessence of semplicity).
Still I do not understand why things should be more complicated
than that and which are the pittfalls of van Tonder's system (if any).

I should have some time in the next days to test the module system
more in details and to see how it goes. So expect some other feedback!

P.S. I forgot: thanks for including srfi-72 in Chicken so soon!