Re: [Chicken-users] Re: first experiments with "simple-macros"

From: Zbigniew
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: first experiments with "simple-macros"
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:08:49 -0500

I too am quite interested in a decent module system, especially after
kludging a few things in the sxml-tools egg to get around the lack of
one.  I have a couple general questions/observations though:

- Startup time of either simple-macros or syntax-case is very long --
1.7s as opposed to 0.1s without it, and this is on a 1.5GHz machine.
So I am somewhat reluctant to use this very useful and fundamental
concept except for big, non-time-critical apps.  Is there room for
much optimization, or is it near the limit?
- Does it make sense to release official eggs using one or the other
module system (assuming we pass the experimental phase)?  The time and
the memory penalty give me pause---same reason I don't use TinyCLOS in
official stuff, seems silly to drag that much code in.
- Does it make sense, given the time and space penalty, to use a
module system at all for smaller projects?  Obviously, we have gotten
by without one, but the advantages are tempting.
- I can't get define-macro to work with simple-macros (after importing
chicken-macros), but I'm sure this is my fault.

Don't get me wrong, it's highly interesting and I will experiment.  I
am just wondering if the intent is to really USE it all over the
place, or if it will be relegated to occasional projects.