[Chicken-users] Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:36:22 -0800

So, I'm contemplating bootstrapping. If you didn't have a chicken compiler already, how would you bootstrap? Where is the "primal" chicken? There's something I find deeply odd about the circularity of tarballs and darcs. I'd rather derive chicken from first principles.

On a more pragmatic level, I'm trying to decide what a bootstrap ala CMake should look like. The autoconf bootstrap looks awful. Buncha directories and copying and stuff. I think if I stare at this long enough The Right Way will come to me though.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every