Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken + current darcs HEAD = borked

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken + current darcs HEAD = borked
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:58:00 -0400

Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

> What problem are you having with the autotools build?  I just rebuilt
> from scratch on my box using Cygwin, and it works fine.
> I do:
>
>  ./autogen.sh
>  ./configure
>  make BOOTSTRAP_PATH=/usr/local/bin
>  make install

Me too, but it depends on what the bootstrap compiler (the one in
/usr/local/bin) is.  With Chicken 2.41, I blow up as follows:

make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/chicken/autotools'
/bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.
-DC_USE_C_DEFAULTS -DC_NO_PIC_NO_DLL   -DC_BUILDING_LIBCHICKEN -Os
-fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wno-unused -Wno-uninitialized
-DC_ENABLE_PTABLES -c -o libchicken_la-library.lo `test -f 'library.c' || echo
'./'`library.c
 gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -DC_USE_C_DEFAULTS -DC_NO_PIC_NO_DLL
-DC_BUILDING_LIBCHICKEN -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall
-Wno-unused -Wno-uninitialized -DC_ENABLE_PTABLES -c library.c  -DDLL_EXPORT
-DPIC -o .libs/libchicken_la-library.o
library.c:16:27: chicken-paths.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [libchicken_la-library.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/chicken/autotools'
make: *** [all] Error 2

However, if I first install 2.41, then use it to bootstrap HEAD
using CMake, then install the CMake build, then use *that* to
bootstrap HEAD using autotools, *then* the Autotools build completes.

So we are in a defective state now, where the last stable Autotools
build (2.41) cannot bootstrap the current unstable Autotools build.

Felix, are you back from Whereverland yet?

> Cheers,
> Brandon Van Every

Any luck with job and/or housing yet?

--
John Cowan   http://ccil.org/~cowan  address@hidden
[P]olice in many lands are now complaining that local arrestees are insisting