Re: [Chicken-users] parameter limit

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] parameter limit
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 10:46:54 -0700

On May 15, 2007, at 10:22 AM, address@hidden wrote:

Hi Kon,

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 10:08:24AM -0700, Kon Lovett wrote:
I am working on (more off than on) a Chicken port of the "current"
SSAX-SXML project (5.1) but do not wait up for it.

How big a job is that?  Is it a matter of moving (meticulously)
through the code and translating things into the "chicken way?"  If
so, I'd be happy to help.

Medium sized job? Only meticulous when a problem arises. Give me a few days to setup a Chicken svn repo entry for the project.

I have a number of goals:

1) Remove "duplicated" code. In the SRFIs, misc-extn, & miscmacros eggs much of the support code is available so I want to remove it from the SSAX-SXML source.

2) Split into a more modular loading style. As released it compiles/ loads as one huge chunk. (Note that this was done for the existing Chicken eggs.)

3) Separate syntax & runtime. (Note that this was done for the existing Chicken eggs.)

4) Compiler declarations. (Note that this was done for the existing Chicken eggs. Although only export declarations, no optimization.)

The export declarations are needed to reduce namespace pollution. A problem with the original source. But modularity does result in the need for external symbols which are not part of the public API.

5) Reduce the "redefined" messages to 0.

6) Still allow for updates from the official distro.

I suppose the above can be considered a "chicken way."

Here are the change notes (so far):

*** ToDo ***

- Make all errors 'exn:sxml' conditions

*** Modifications ***

- ssax-sxml.setup

  imports/exports support

  .so/.dll support

- ssax-sxml.scm

  added exports

- libs/chicken/myenv.sch

  use miscmacros, misc-extn

  needs assert (not same signature as Chicken core)

- libs/chicken/myenv.scm

  use misc-extn-procs, srfi-1

- libs/chicken/common.scm

  use srfi-1, extras