Re: [Chicken-users] hygienic branch (progress report, sort of)

From: Andrew Gwozdziewycz
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] hygienic branch (progress report, sort of)
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 07:22:33 -0400

On May 16, 2008, at 6:34 AM, Hans Bulfone wrote:

my question is: will it still be possible to write a (er-) macro that
creates new identifiers like define-record does?

In most hygienic macro systems it's possible to "break" hygiene for
the purposes of introducing identifiers. I don't believe syntax-rules
has a way to do this, syntax-case (through the syntax->datum etc)
and explicit renaming macros definitely do.

Explicit renaming macros are very similar to the low level macros
of define-macro except for the fact that you must "explicitly rename"
identifiers to be hygienic. But, you don't have to rename _all_ of them
should you want to introduce an identifier.

--
Andrew Gwozdziewycz