Re: first contribution: smart rename for the mv command

From: Stéphane Archer
Subject: Re: first contribution: smart rename for the mv command
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 15:03:57 -0300

Hi Pádraig,

Thank you for your answer, I agree that --backup=numbered does something
similar but there is a few issues with this functionality in my opinion.
The first is that it doesn't preserve file extension so you end up with a
bunch of file.tar.bz2~1~ file where file~1~.tar.bz2 would make much more
sense in my opinion.
The second is just that ~ is a special character for most shells so an
underscore would make a safer file name. I imagine you know the `detox`
program to avoid issues with complex file names, the simpler, the better.

I hope this clarifies what I'm trying to do.
What do you think?

Mary Christmas!

Stéphane Archer

--