dazuko-help

Re: [Dazuko-help] ON_EXEC and Linux 2.6

From: Ajay Surie
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-help] ON_EXEC and Linux 2.6
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:37:52 -0400

John,

Thank you for your prompt response.

With RSBAC Dazuko is more tightly integrated with the system calls. These
classifications are sure to be more reliable.

This is very useful. However, my intended use for Dazuko has changed somewhat. I would like a 3rd party application to manage on-demand scanning, but with the scan process starting as early in the boot process as possible, preferably as soon as control is passed to the kernel.

It looks like as a kernel module Dazuko would be loaded during the execution of rc.sysinit. A user daemon would be loaded much later in the boot process, which would prevent scanning of all prior files accessed during boot.

Is it possible to have Dazuko loaded early in the boot process with the kernel, rather than as a kernel module? My idea here was that Dazuko could be involved in the scanning process and pass the results to a user daemon once it had registered itself. An alternative here would be to write a scanner based on one of the security frameworks that lives entirely in the kernel. However, I don't want to reinvent the wheel since Dazuko already does a good job communicating with user space daemons, which I need for this implementation.

Any thoughts/suggestions on the above would be appreciated. I have spent some time reading the Dazuko source, but perspective from somebody who has been at this for a while is helpful :-)

Thanks,
Ajay