dazuko-help

Re: [Dazuko-help] Fedora 8 and Dazuko Still not working

From: John Ogness
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-help] Fedora 8 and Dazuko Still not working
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:00:53 +0200

On 2008-04-11, bob J. <address@hidden> wrote:
> When I booted there was a problem with SELinux. So I dieabled
> SELinux in the menuconfig and made a second kernel.

You can also configure SElinux to use a boot parameter. Then it can be
disabled at boot time with the boot parameter: selinux=0

> This time it booted fine. My purpose for installing Dazuko is to get
> the AVG virus software to work. I installed AVG and rebooted. During
> the boot AVG said that I need to install the Dazuko module.

The AVG program may be checking /proc/modules to see if Dazuko is
loaded. However, since you built it statically in the kernel it will
not show up in the /proc/modules list.

(The AVG software should be checking /proc/devices instead.)

> by the way the menuconfig was set to accept additional security
> modules.

Unfortuntely this did not help because SElinux and Capabilties were
built statically into your kernel. (Capabilities does not let any
other security modules load after it.)

> dazuko does show up in the /proc/devides file.

That is a good sign.

> And modprobe does not report Dazuko.

Since Dazuko is not a module now, modprobe will not know anything
about it.

> Is there a way I can tell if Dazuko is working or if it is a problem
> with AVG ?

In the dazuko-2.3.5-pre1.tar.gz package there is a test program.

$ tar xzvf dazuko-2.3.5-pre1.tar.gz
$ cd dazuko-2.3.5-pre1
$ ./configure --without-module
$ cd example_c
$ make

(and as root)
# ./example /tmp/dazuko

Then in another shell you can create the directory /tmp/dazuko and
play around with copying and modifying files there. The example
program should be showing the file access events. If yes, Dazuko is
working. In no, then post to this list again and we can try something
else. (But I expect it to be working, since the device is there.)

AVG might be using a startup script that is checking /proc/modules and
then reporting failure. You may want to take a look at the script to
see if that is the case (and make the appropriate changes). It would
also be good to report to AVG that they should be checking
/proc/devices instead of /proc/modules since it is possible to use
Dazuko as a static part of the kernel.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer