A new facility in Denemo

From: Richard Shann
Subject: A new facility in Denemo
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2022 09:02:26 +0100

Once I have created a score in Denemo I hit Play to listen out for
mistakes (if transcribing) or infelicities (if composing).

This is good, but has the disadvantage that I end up doing a lot of
stopping and re-starting and I'm often uncertain whether I should have
stopped the playback until its too late, and I'm then looking back to
find out what it was I heard. And if I want to leave off and have my
tea I may well forget where I had got to in the review process.

It occurred to me that what would be better would be to listen to the
piece all through just marking those moments that I thought might bear
closer inspection by pressing the space bar or clicking on the typeset
score (or the source pdf if there is one).

So I have written a new command (*) that lets you do just that. It
plays the current movement and responds to the space bar by making a
note of the timing. Pressing any other key (or right clicking if you
are looking at the Print View) stops the playback and gives you the
option of inserting markers at each stored timings in the current
staff. The command then gives you the option to go on to review each
marked place (it plays a two-bar context for each marker) and make any
changes you want. You can delete these Playback Annotation marks when
you have finished or label them for later reference amongst other
options the command provides.

If you have any suggestions or experience trying this new tool please
let me know.

Richard
(*)
Command: Annotate Playback
This command allows you to mark moments during playback for further
study.
Choosing Play and Annotate allows you to mark moments as you listen by
pressing the space bar or left-clicking in the Print View or the Source
View.
Right-clicking in the Print or Source View or pressing a key other than
space stops the play whereupon you can choose Insert Annotation Markers
to insert marks "x" into the current staff.
Then use Move and Play to play a couple of bars at the next annotation
- you can label the mark with a comment, edit the score etc, before
moving on to the next.
Marks can be deleted just like any other object or the Clear All Marks
option can be chosen to finish.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Movements ▶ Playback
Internal Name: AnnotatePlayback