Re: creating .ly files

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: creating .ly files
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 14:59:24 +0100

On Sat, 2022-06-18 at 14:43 +0200, Michael Wossog wrote:
> Open custom template is probably not right, course Open custom
> template requires a different file type.
> Import Lilypond could be the right one.
> Could you open the zither-tab-01.ly

You can only use the Open command on Denemo files, to import zither-
tab-01.ly you would have to use

Command: Import Lilypond (Limited)
Try to Import a Lilypond File
Location: Main Menu ▶ File ▶ Import File
Internal Name: Import-Lilypond

this fails on that file because that file includes other files. The
LilyPond import is very limited.

It is possible to insert the LilyPond that you are trying to use as
template code into the head of a Denemo score - doing this with the
files you posted gave an error on trying to typeset, and it seems this
is because the file as it stands does not typeset: putting zither-tab-
01.ly into Frescobaldi and trying to compile with LilyPond 2.22.0 I get
an error:

8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><

Starting lilypond 2.22.0 [zither-tab-01.ly]...
Processing `/home/rshann/Desktop/zither-tab-01.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
/usr/share/lilypond/2.22.0/ly/init.ly:74:2: error: wrong type for
argument 1.  Expecting duration, found "4"
#
 (let ((book-handler (if (defined? 'default-toplevel-book-handler)
/usr/share/lilypond/2.22.0/scm/parser-ly-from-scheme.scm:24:18: In
procedure reverse! in expression (ly:parse-string-expression clone
lily-string ...):
/usr/share/lilypond/2.22.0/scm/parser-ly-from-scheme.scm:24:18: Wrong
type argument in position 1: (1 "4" . #f)
Exited with return code 1.

I suspect you could include the relevant LilyPond syntax in a Denemo
score and use it to generate what you want, though if you need
\bookpart stuff which I see in there you would need to create a custom
score layout. All this is quite possible, but not by a simple "Open
LilyPond" mechanism :(

If you are able to get zither-tab-01.ly working with LilyPond 2.22.0
and I can see an example of what you are trying to do, I'm confident a
template can be created for it.

Richard