devel-panorama

[Devel-panorama] Re: Angel's server

From: Angel Jimenez
Subject: [Devel-panorama] Re: Angel's server
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 01:02:38 +0200

From: "Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 6:10 PM
Subject: Angel's server

> I have been talking with Angel about the server (instead of putting it
> up, we managed to kill main machine RPM DB... but GeForce now works,
> so it was not so bad... just a clean install to get it right).

 GeForce2 works, and very well, I must say (GLX, hardware acceleration,
etc.). But we managed to break everything else... Just take a look at the
headers of this message to see the mail agent I am using to write it... Just
an advice: _NEVER_ play with rawhide packages unless you know what you are
doing...

 It has been a busy week for me, mostly due to this, so I have not been able
to work on the port to Windows, but I will try to have it ready next week. I
also have some ideas for code optimization I would like to test in the code.
And, of course, there is the GUI...

> One thing is to add links doc, and other things, to CVS, so anyone can
> add things for the webpages.

 This could be a separate CVS server, located in this computer...

> Other is a webring service for Panorama users (coders too) like the
> old Webring did, but this time controled by us, Panorama involved
> people, not by a company (was Webring, now Yahoo).

 Nice thing for people who already have web contents about Panorama...

> I also think an irc server would be nice, if we want to try that. We
> can also use other networks, like irc.gimp.org one (lot of GNU things
> there, all Gimp and GNOME channels are there).

 Well, we could talk about this a little more. I dont know how to setup an
IRC server, and I would like to know about security issues before...

> SSH accounts to the machine, to update things. At least for people
> that work in things that machine hosts (webmaster...).

> CVS mirror, just in case SourceForge becomes unreachable.

 Good idea. It could be automated (getting the tarball every night from
Sourceforge). This server would host another "module" (CVS terminology) for
web pages, CGI scripts, etc.

> FTP for incoming patches / examples / images, so people can put things
> somewhere and easy.

 In other words, if any of us want to make a file available to the rest in a
moment, whatever the file size, this would be a good thing.

> It will also serve as firewall, so maybe it will have some paranoid
> settings, at least as much as we can put without losing fuctions.

And I must say I am getting very paranoid, after some attempts at breaking
my system, so security is an important issue.

Angel.