devel-panorama

Re: [Devel-panorama] Re: Re: Angel's server

From: Angel Jimenez
Subject: Re: [Devel-panorama] Re: Re: Angel's server
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 18:15:10 +0200

From: "Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 4:29 PM
Subject: [Devel-panorama] Re: Re: Angel's server

> Someone at GNU changed the mailing list settings without saying
> anything. Argh!

 They are moving servers... But it seems they are also making some
changes...

> > > I also think an irc server would be nice, if we want to try that. We
> > > can also use other networks, like irc.gimp.org one (lot of GNU things
> > > there, all Gimp and GNOME channels are there).
> >  Well, we could talk about this a little more. I dont know how to setup
an
> > IRC server, and I would like to know about security issues before...
>
> Me either. But there is always a first time.

 If you find some docs about that, please tell me...

> Public upload FTP should never allow downloading without human review.

 I'm not sure about making it public... We could set it up for Panorama
developers only...

> You get scans daily, I get stupid guys trying to use my Univ machine
> as a piracy FTP (which they can not cos /pub/incoming sets all files
> to 000 mode, but they try).

 Too many people without a life out there...

> FTP only for incoming files from people that do not have an account,
> nothing more. For user transfers, we should use scp and sftp (one
> comes with ssh, the other uses ssh).

 Anyway, this is not a closed specification. We could try something, and
change it in a few days if it is a problem...

> I guess we will have to close lots of ports. I have a doc from
> rootprompt about that, IIRC.

 I have those docs too, but no time to read... I'll start working on the
server tonight (if I have time after installing RedHat 7 in my other PC).

 Cheers.
 Angel