Introduction for GSoC Participation

From: Arpit Gupta
Subject: Introduction for GSoC Participation
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 23:11:22 +0530

Hi everyone,

I am Arpit Gupta, an Electronics and Communication undergraduate at the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee. I have been in touch with GNU Radio for about a year now. I successfully participated in GSoC'19 with GNU Radio, building a Block Header Parsing Tool. More details regarding my project can be found here. The complete code can be found here
I'm very interested to contribute again in GNU Radio this year. I have gone through the GSoC ideas list and the project I'm interested in working on the most is GRC: View Only Mode (Secure).
The project has a very strong security implication on the GRC (GNU Radio Companion) as it would stop or ask for user permission before executing arbitrary python code. For example, Python Module Block allows you to run arbitrary python code. The idea here is to add persistent cache to the eval operations that would enable users to view a flowgraph without being executed. Persistent cache means information is stored in "permanent" memory, so data is not lost after a system restart or system crash as it would be if it is stored in cache memory.
I would definitely like to work a lot more on this project, so it will be very helpful if I can get further guidance. I will be highly obliged.

Thanks.

Regards,
Arpit Gupta
Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee