Re: FLL Band-Edge

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: FLL Band-Edge
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 09:56:39 +0100

Pretty much.

The FLL band edge system in GNU Radio does the following:

1. have a filter that extracts the energy "around the place where the
upper edge of where the signal is supposed to be", and around the lower edge
2. compares energies in both
3. multiplies the signal with e^jft, while adjusting the f until there's
equal energy in both edge filters.

The idea behind 2. is that you want your signal centered, smack in the 0
Hz middle of your baseband.

The principle in 3. is just a control loop to control the frequency shift

The approach for 1. is that it's mathematically very elegant to use the
derivative of the transmitter's pulse shaping filter. It still works
(though with higher variance) if you just use any symmetric low-pass
filter that lets through roughly the signal's bandwidth.

For more info, fred harris himself has done a presentation of FLL band
edge filters at GRCon'17[1], and you might find that enlightening. Note
that GNU Radio's FLL band edge is nowhere as smart – it doesn't do
anything with the phase information it could be getting, for free.

Best regards,
Marcus

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmjk9NE-3k0