Re: Slack alternatives

From: Daniel Poelzleithner
Subject: Re: Slack alternatives
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 22:10:55 +0100

On 04/02/2020 17:19, Sebastian Müller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as you might know, Slack has become a very frequently used tool for
> communication in the project.
> Tbh, I never understood the hype around Slack (not the form of communication
> but the specific software). It deletes our old messages and takes up a
> ridiculous amount of RAM. Are there any people interested on switching to an
> alternative, like Mattermost [1]? I’m not deep in the topic, but from what
> I’ve heard it’s like Slack, but self-hosted, open-source and free.

> [1] https://mattermost.com/

I used mattermost, zulip, rocketchat, slack and other tools over the years.

Zulip is my absolute favorite, for example, it prevents you from
breaking threads or spamming the main channel by forcing you to use
topics. Clients for different platforms, slick webui and open source.
Also has many integrations.

many feature in mattermost that enterprise only, even fundamental stuff
like permissions. I used it in projects and would not choose it again.

poelzi