Re: Unable to add FMCOMMS5 from git library

From: Rupak Paul
Subject: Re: Unable to add FMCOMMS5 from git library
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 00:03:50 +0100

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for your suggestion.
Actually I had my old projects on older version 3.7 on both Ubuntu and Windows.

Will download new versions and try again. Thanks.

Regards,
Rupak

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 11:58 PM Marcus Müller <mmueller@gnuradio.org> wrote:
Hi Rupak,

this makes no sense: ADI put a lot of effort into getting gr-iio to work with GNU Radio
3.8, and porting efforts to 3.9 are at least underway.

It absolutely makes no sense to use GNU Radio 3.7 on a new project, especially since
multiple of its dependencies have gone end-of-life. You can trivially upgrade to GNU Radio
3.8 using GNU Radio's own PPA, or from Ubuntu's own package repositories if you upgrade
your Ubuntu 20.04.

If you've already got working infrastructure based on GNU Radio 3.7, the situation is
different: we do take a bit of caution to help 3.7 keep running on legacy systems. We are,
however, not porting it to new platforms (which simply doesn't work due to the
dependencies mentioned above), and I'd certainly recommend not starting a project with 3.7
in 2021.

Best regards,
Marcus

--